Dave Mikrut 


Snowball experienced some damage during shipping. I got her back to perform the repairs. The chopped roof had come apart a couple of times and been repaired but to no avail.  The prime directive of Snowball has been and always will be to not change the designs of a previous builder.  Unfortunately there just wasn't enough left of the roof for strength. From the top after some repair work, she had been sanded to resemble an hourglass. The tiny front pillars and what was left of the rear pillars was not substantial enough to survive traveling around the world. I began by removing any material that had been sanded paper thin. I also removed the netting from underneath the roof which had been applied to strengthen it but it still tore. The doors are taped shut during work to keep them from being damaged. The middle section where the roof has been stretched has been the ongoing problem. As you can see the roof has been sanded very thin across this area, actually more so, on this side than the other. This piece tore out like paper.



I cut some sheet styrene to fit the inside of the roof. It has been installed with a real hefty amount of crazy glue gel. I held it in place while it dried with clothespins. Already I can feel it has become stronger.


The gap in the roof needed to be filled. I had to back it up with an addition small piece of styrene and built up plenty of crazy glue gel topside. This will all be ground down to level with a Dremel tool and sanding sticks.


Everything always looks nicer with a fresh coat of primer. But more importantly things stand out that will need smoothing out in a later stage of this process. I'm hoping a future builder will upholster this with flocking or even corduroy, like the old customs.


Here's how the roof looks so far, after the first cut down of filler. Nice big bubble and all. I'm not going to go further with this until I install the fillers in the back of the pillars to strengthen it even more.


The addition of these pieces, to support the roof, were made from pieces of old model car bodies, I chose because they had a slight curve to them, rather than just a flat piece of plastic. First I welded them in with Ambroid Pro Weld and then added crazy glue gel as a filler and further support. Here's how it looks with the pieces freshly installed.


After reshaping the roof pillars, I decided to add a drip rail to our hardtop style door, window opening. I sanded them down and shaped them. This addition strengthened the front pillars and the roof even more. After having done all these repairs, I was getting kind of burnt out and asked the next builder if he would finish off some of what I started. After a while that Snowball's putty, primer and glue gel, needed to "Gas Out", you will see in the next step, that Chuck finishes off the repairs beautifully.


click one:

   

Snowball Home Page


http://www.digits.com

Sunday, January 28, 2007 11:37 PM